Monday, February 25, 2013

the Smiths come to visit


Ben’s parents came to visit this weekend and we are consequently still full. When parents indulge us with a visit, we really ought to warn them of the culinary adventure we have planned for them in advance. We practically dined out every meal, save the breakfasts I cooked myself merely so that I would not have to start the day out with a post-meal nap (plus I absolutely love having family/friends around my table). Hawthorne, Blacksmith, Torchy’s, Corner Table, Lucille’s. I married well! Truly though, I am reminded of my good fortune in marrying Ben each time I am privileged time around his family. I mean, as if they did not already indulge me enough by raising me the best husBen imaginable, they also are such easy and kind people to be around, always ready to love us well. What a world!

Breakfast Pastry
2 cups buttermilk baking mix (Bisquik)
Half of an 8-oz. package cream cheese
¼ cup butter
1/3 cup milk
½ cup raspberry or strawberry preserves

Icing
¼ cup chopped nuts (pecans or almonds)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place baking mix in a large bowl. Cut cream cheese and butter into baking mix with a pastry cutter or fork until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in milk and knead 8-10 times, adding more baking mix if necessary.
Turn out dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet and press into a rectangle. Make two -inch cuts at 1-inch intervals along the long sides of the rectangle. Spread raspberry preserves down the center of the dough. Alternately fold the edges over to resemble a braid. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
Drizzle icing over cooled pastry and sprinkle with nuts.

Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
1 ½ Tbsp. milk
½ tsp. vanilla extract
Whisk powdered sugar, milk and extract in small bowl and stir until blended and smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment