Sunday, July 29, 2012

a life well lived

It’s hard to write about much else until I have addressed the most pressing issue in our life as late. If you know what I am referring to, then it would seem near neglectful of me not to honor this moment.


Death is awful, but it is also awe-inspiring (when it can be an end to suffering and the culmination of a life well lived), so I suppose I deem it awe-ful. My grandmother, KT, met such a death last weekend after bravely beginning a battle with ovarian cancer. At the funeral today I sat and listened to her closest friends (who numbered in the multitudes it seemed) recall moments of her life that shared a common theme of bringing glory to God…and they were honestly just stories of common life occurrences: trips she had taken with other families over the years, times she had spent working on rent houses, or around a bridge table. 


I was most astounded by two things: One, that a person could so consistently point towards God that all of the memories of them, even of them just going about their everyday life, could ring of His love; and Two, that I am beginning to sense the realness of Heaven (now that I can imagine someone I knew well up there dancing around in all her southern Baptist joy). 
No picture of food (sorry i somehow made it out of Louisiana
without recipes for the plethora of casseroles we ate at the church).
I was gifted a matryoshka doll, which my grandmother
collected (by the hundreds) so now i will have a constant reminder
of her up on my kitchen window sill. Thanks KT!



No comments:

Post a Comment