Saturday, March 16, 2013

yolo


I forgot how much I like live music. Last night, Beck and the fiancé Ryan visited us to go see Local Natives at Fitzgeralds in the Heights. A friend from medical school, Chandra, met us there and we ran into some of Ben’s friends from the firm, Taylor and Kelsey, as well. The band finally started around 11—an hour that normally finds me in my bed—and I immediately remembered how it felt to be young and unburdened by all the stresses and pressures we create for ourselves again. I simply felt young and able to move without inhibition. I could feel the music reverberating in my sternum and bouncing through my legs. I ceased to care who stood around me and found myself content to just respond to the music with my whole body (don’t worry, I kept it mostly inside the box).
I expect this theme of fun and freedom to continue for at least the next few months until husBen has to start studying for the bar exam. Until that feared turning point, we have adopted some light-hearted mottos to remind us of our intentions this semester: “Live big or die trying” (Ben’s) and “YOLO” (mine). No, we are not embarrassed of these ridiculous phrases, because after applying them to any decision, we always end up grateful for the fun that follows.
This blog space has been a practice in reflection for me, often more frequently documented in times of my life I am busy and stressed (and feel the need to mentally unwind), and paradoxically less so when I am actively enjoying ample free time. I want to do better about remembering the fun I am having now though, as if to write about it will slow me down and make me appreciate this period of laxity in our lives…because after all, You Only Live Once.
Cheers.

Vieux Carré
1 ounce rye
1 ounce Cognac
1 ounce sweet vermouth
¼ ounce Bénédictine
2 dashes Peychaud’s Bitters
2 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: thick lemon twist
Combine all the ingredients except the garnish in a mixing glass filled with ice. Stir until chilled and strain into a double old-fashioned glass over one large ice cube. Garnish with the thick lemon twist.
From Bitters by Brad Thomas Parsons, makes 1 drink

No comments:

Post a Comment