Sunday, August 4, 2013

BLT re-efforted


I sometimes say I am non-emotional (in effort to bolster a self image of toughness), but in reality, I have just given myself inadequate time to react emotionally to any current situation. It is more a failure to process/stiff of reflection than a confession of my true nature. I believe that an emotionally intelligent person should be able to discern when it is more important to take something for its utilitarian value than to emotionally react to it; on the converse, a humanely-intact person should be able to gauge with sensitivity the value of the emotional underpinnings of life. Whether towards friend or foe, family member or lover, we must take stock of the personally unique perspective from which we operate and the effect of our emotional bias on others.  

These thoughts—of how I should perceive my current busyness—only surface through free time (appreciation/processing requires an extra minute after all). This weekend I took that free time. On my run Saturday morning, I heard the hum of cicadas and the energetic squawk of seagulls. I tasted the salt in the air. I tangibly felt my muscles burning and was aware for the first time in awhile of physical fatigue. I felt waves of the gulf hit my ankles and walked amongst shells on a quiet beach. I took stock of the people around me and felt lucky. Even throughout our busy lives we are blessed, if only we can take one extra minute to remember that.

I cooked a little too. I tried to recreate this recipe (http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/avocado-and-gouda-blt-corn-fritter-stacks-with-chipotle-bourbon-dressing/) for lunch Saturday and I can say that mine was not nearly as aesthetically pleasing but maybe as tasty. This dish is rich, and would perhaps be better served as an appetizer. Regardless, I was just happy to be in the kitchen around friends and without agenda for a good 24 hours.

Avocado and Gouda BLT on Corn Fritters with Chipotle Bourbon dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment