Saturday, June 30, 2012

5 years later

I remember the first time I “met” my nephew Abram. He was more of a concept at that point, the bump in Ben’s red headed sister’s tummy. I was a freshman in college and accompanied Ben (as just a friend) to his mom’s birthday dinner right down the road from Waco in good ol’ Temple, TX. 


Then 5 years flew by. We were in Temple last weekend celebrating some young love (that’s a whole separate story ;) and semi-celebrating Abram’s 5th birthday. I am kind of celebrating any and every small joy during this vacation from school so I was honestly just happy to be around family. I spent Saturday afternoon in the Smith kitchen prepping burgers and baking a pirate cake for Abram and could not have been more content.
cheery final product

i wonder what 5 year olds wish for...

i attempted to make the middle layer blue like water

abram's piece of cake (about 1/4th the actual cake)

love mina claire's cake face 
"someone would pay good money for this at a restaurant"
-Ben's dad

Fried squash medallions



I followed the recipes pretty closely from  http://simply-delicious.co.za/2012/05/08/beef-burgers-with-bacon-jam-gorgonzola/ for the Blue Cheese Burgers with Onion Bacon Jam. The cake was a combination from  http://www.bakerella.com/finally-i-found-it/ for the moist yellow layers and  http://sweetapolita.com/2011/08/sweet-salty-salted-caramel-chocolate-fudge-cake/ for the chocolate icing!


Note: I feel like I have learned so much from Ben’s sisters (Naomi and Becki) about child rearing over my years with them. This trip I learned: despite kids’ lack of cognizance of the efforts made on their behalf, they are worth every ounce of energy and love we can muster. One day they will understand. 


No comments:

Post a Comment