Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Let my gratitude not (always) be in retrospect


I cannot even imagine what it would take to raise tiny humans into adequate adults. I wasn’t even so sure I could keep myself and husBen alive and well during our first year of medical school/law school when our firm repose occasionally deteriorated into childish histrionics (there were some tears and gnashing of teeth, mostly mine). Yet, mothers deal with irrationality at all ages and tirelessly rise to the occasion to come to the rescue. Good job, moms.
I have seen this parenting thing a touch more clearly in these last few years as some of my close friends and sister-in-laws have had their own babies. I realize now that these super-hero moms are still human at base and struggle the same way we (non-parents) do with a difficult task (theirs being living and breathing of course). I see, however, that I cannot claim to understand the unconditional nature of their love until I have my own kids; there seems to be no choice involved in whether or not they will wake up at all hours of the night for a kid in need, whether or not they will shell out their life savings to educate and/or bail out a kid, and whether or not they will clean up this or that thing that their kid projectiles out of any orifice. I cannot boast of that stage of understanding quite yet, full of its wholeness, its joys, and its inherent grip so tight around your heart it just scares me.
I got to spend Mother’s Day with all three of my “mothers” this weekend at the bay: my very own mom, the strongest, most selfless woman I know; my mom’s best friend Mrs. Janet, who was present in most of my childhood memories actually, and my mother-in-law Mrs. Patti (seriously how did I get so lucky with you?). I just want to say I love you ladies. You have greatly shaped the woman I am today (so, I credit you for my sass and my energy) and I hope one day to become a mother half as good. 
on the road to the bay

don't let Quimby fool you,
he loves a good road trip with his sister Eleanor

almost stepped on a water moccasin on this walk in Lamar!

I whipped up this pie for our Mother's Day meal together (literally, whipping is about as complex as the recipe gets) and I would highly recommend it for those Nutella lovers out there. It's at least 1% better than eating the Nutella straight out of the jar with a spoon...
so rich, so so rich
Nutella Pie with toasted hazelnuts
For the crust:
2 cups chocolate cookies, ground in the food processor
1 stick of butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine cookie crumbs (I used oreos and scraped out the white frosting from the inside (which I would not recommend eating all at once) and butter in a small bowl and mix together until it resembles wet sand. Spray a pie plate with non-stick spray and press crust mixture firmly down into plate and up against the sides (use a wide spoon). Chill for at least 15 minutes prior to baking. When ready, bake for 10 minutes then allow to cool completely before adding in filling.
For the filling:
2 cups Nutella
1 1/2 cups mascarpone (Italian cream cheese)
1/4 teaspoon of salt
handful of hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip Nutella, mascarpone, and salt on high until fluffy, about 2-4 minutes. Pour fluffy filling into cooled pie crust. Top with toasted hazelnuts. Cool for about 1 hour in refrigerator prior to serving. See that wasn't hard...

No comments:

Post a Comment