Thursday, May 1, 2014

Plasticity


This morning was perfect for a run; I snuck out of the house without waking up husBen or the dogs to a brisk 55 degrees outside, with a dark blue sky indicative of the hour. I meet my friend Leah a couple times a week to run the trail around Memorial Park, and this first day of my month off was no different.
Except that it was. When I arrived, for no reason at all, she suggested we run it in the opposite direction. Excuse me, but to a creature of habit and (confession?) an addictive personality, this seemed like a big deal to me at 6 o’clock this morning. I didn’t really have any strong emotion yet though, as I had not chugged my usual coffee on the way over, so I agreed.
As we were running, I felt myself more observant of my surroundings as I was trying to gauge our distance along the path in reverse: I noticed the trees and the people and most poignantly that moment when the color scheme switched from the warm yellow of the street lamps to a cool blue of the day waking up. And the sunrise over the this city, MY city, made me just want to throw my hands up to it in grateful reception (except that I didn’t want to draw attention to myself this early in the morning), as if to say, “thanks for helping me see life differently!”
Okay, okay, I can be a bit dramatic in reflection, but the point is that I need to appreciate change and transition and the new as I step into this next phase of life. A residency where my assignment changes by the month practically mandates adaptability. Made me wonder, how much in life do we forfeit in addiction to our routines?
Every Monday night, we do homemade pizza with the Roesers, a couple we met in our church a few years ago. Caroline usually makes the dough, then we come up with toppings based on what we’ve got handy in our refrigerators that week: roasted cherry tomatoes and burst burrata, (or) shrimp, bacon, eggplant and basil, (or) red onion, rosemary, parmesan and pistachios. A couple weeks ago, we decided to divert from the norm and declared it Thai Night. Bon Appetit did a spread in their March issue so we played with the recipes and again, found ourselves thankful for a little mix-up in the routine (lookie there, I am training for residency)…
massaman chicken
green mango salad

toasted coconut sundaes with candied peanuts

These recipes can be found at:



No comments:

Post a Comment