Thursday, September 8, 2011

Afternoon snack and musing


I heard a lecturer last week remind us how important it was to have someone who “knew your song” so that they could turn it up a little louder for you when you began to wear thin in your passion. This “song,” I suppose, refers to your unspoken mantra, that which wells forth from you as an identifying drive. The idea follows that those closest to you can almost hear this silent melody, then hold you accountable to making life decisions coherent with it. After deciding my current fixation, “Brand New Key*,” does not quite embody my full ideals of one day being a humanitarian doctor/chef/super mom/loving wife, I decided to ask Ben what my song sounds like. “Animal?**” Great. Well, regardless of the gulf between my self-perception now and my projected more mature future self, the idea still stands strong: it would be nice to have someone sing your current hopes back to you in ten, fifteen, twenty years and remind you of the energy/ideals with which you started your profession.


Figs and Blue Cheese 
Heat up your broiler. Slice figs in half (my favorite are fresh Black Mission Figs). Top with crumbled blue cheese (look at that beautiful vein of blue!) and stick under your broiler for about 3-5 minutes (or until cheese looks bubbly). Drizzle with balsamic glaze before serving.  

*Brand New Key by Melanie 
**Animal by Miike Snow

No comments:

Post a Comment