Thursday, September 29, 2011

quick and cheap


Nearing test week, time isn’t cheap. But happiness is. It is a blessing how easily I am pleased by most anything not involving school right now. On my trip home from HEB today, I ripped into the package of chocolate truffle bars I bought, turned on some radio-edited Lil Wayne and found myself almost giddy I was so content. Dinner is cheap too, because I just do not have the time to play fancy right now. Here’s to speed from kitchen to table with minimal clean-up!


One skillet Orzo and Chicken

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into little pieces

1 can of navy beans, drained

garlic powder

1 small onion chopped 
1 Tb olive oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained

4 cups of fresh spinach chopped

1 cup chicken broth

1 cup uncooked orzo pasta

1 tsp italian seasoning (I just threw in dried basil, oregano, and thyme)

grated Parmesan cheese to top
In a large cast iron skillet, saute chicken in olive oil for 5-6 minutes until it is nearly done. Add beans, onion, garlic and a good sprinkle of garlic powder. Saute about 1-2 more minutes. Next dump in the diced tomatoes, spinach, chicken broth, seasoning, and orzo. Stir to mix the orzo into juices. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed. Serve in a deep dish topped with cheese!
Adapted from a Taste of Home recipe- feeds 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment