Tuesday, September 13, 2011

coconut macaroons


A girl in my class (who incidentally got married on the same day I did, and now dons the same new last name) just had a baby.  Like fresh-out-the-oven, real bouncing (and crying, and sleeping, and pooping I am sure) baby boy. Perhaps one day, when I am more altruistic and less selfish with my time…

One day, I will teach a daughter how to be a real woman.
I will teach her how to sew and mend the little things.
I will teach her how to plant and use herbs and the value of picking your own tomatoes right off the vine.
I will teach her how to clean baseboards and scrub porches.
I will teach her how to talk to boys (how to empower them, especially when it comes to helping clean the house they live in too).
I will teach her how to set the table and iron her cloth napkins.
I will teach her to appreciate family and tradition at an early age, but I will understand if she needs a moment of rebellion before she comes around.
I will teach her how to host a dinner party.
I will teach her to explore philosophy (even if her father does not encourage it).
I will teach her to work hard, to exhaust herself for her passions.
I will teach her how big the world is, but that she is still responsible for her place in it.

I guess if I have a son, I will think of a few things to teach him too…



Coconut Macaroons
4 egg whites
3 c. sweetened, shredded coconut
2/3 c. sugar
shake of salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Stir together egg whites, coconut, sugar and extracts in a heat-proof bowl and using the double boiler method, set the bowl over a pan filled with 2 inches of simmering water. Heat mixture until it has thickened, about 7-9 minutes.  Scoop 2 inch scoops (I used a little ice cream scoop/melon baller tool) onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You will know the mixture has thickened enough if the scoop can hold its shape without liquid puddling around the bottom. Bake cookies for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool cookies on the baking sheet, this gives the bottom of the cookies a perfect crunch.

Dip in chocolate ganache: after cookies have cooled completely. Melt a handful of chocolate discos (or the equivalent in whatever dark chocolate you have on hand) with about half a tablespoon of butter in a glass, microwave safe dish. Stir well so that the chocolate is smooth. Dip each macaroon into the chocolate then allow to dry completely on a cookie sheet. 
Adapted from www.dinnerordessert.com

No comments:

Post a Comment