Thursday, November 17, 2011

dear time,


Most of our walls are filled with art; things we have collected over the years or made ourselves, things gifted us by talented loved ones, and diplomas we once earned. There is, however, a big blank space over our television. A blank wall that I once meant to fill. It really used to bother me when I was nesting (oh dear summer following marriage, I should have appreciated you more). Now I do not have so much time to worry about that stark white space; in fact, I only notice it when I am bored. I used to really concern myself over all I could put there: the perfect painting, shelves with cool old hardbacks, a marlin, or even a giant mural (that I even so ambitiously thought I might paint). The truth is I suspect that wall will stay blank until we move out of this beloved little space. On that day I will sigh with acknowledgement, having always known I would never find that perfect finishing piece—time just passes too quickly.

Can you even believe next week is Thanksgiving?

served on my grandmother Nell's famous rolls,
with pecans from her orchard that we shelled together this weekend

Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad
2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)

½ cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped

1/3 cup granny apple, diced into tiny chunks
½ cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped

1 shallot, minced

1/3 cup Greek yogurt

2 tablespoons light mayo 

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (add more if you like)
1 teaspoon orange juice
1 tablespoon oregano, minced
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rub chicken breasts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Shred in your kitchen aid (or dice up into little tiny pieces). Set aside to cool.
Mix together greek yogurt, mayo, apple cider vinegar, orange juice and oregano.
In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken (about 2 cups), pecans, shallots, green apple, and cranberries. Toss with dressing until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Chill for 1 hour then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment