Tuesday, November 22, 2011

the real romance




Well, Ben and I are newly-weds again…after renewing our vows at the wedding we attended in Austin this past Saturday night. I was not even aware that vows expire, but on Stephanie’s prompting (and impression that all the other marrieds were doing it), we stood up at the wedding when the priest made the offer. Truly though, our chosen professions may keep us in love forever if there is any merit to the saying “Absence makes the heart grow fonder.” I partially thank our busy schedules for allowing us to appreciate the time we actually do get to spend together. I feel “in love” with husBen like it is June 5, 2010 all over again…now where should we fly for the honeymoon?

But most reverently speaking of intense love, I had the chance to see my old theology professor from high school, Mr. Shimek, and his wife at the wedding. Mrs. Shimek was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) 5 or 6 years ago and has since progressed in the way that most ALS patients do.  Mr. Shimek’s devotion to Mrs. Shimek nearly made Ben and I want to cry. He stood by her in the back during the ceremony and fed her patiently during the reception. I am sure he helps her do most everything and I am certain she is worth it. Ben’s eyes would find Mr. Shimek throughout the night and once he leaned over to me and said with genuine emotion, “He is like Noah from the Notebook.” Mr. Shimek lives out the “In sickness and in health” part of the vows most of us hope we never encounter (and certainly do not bank on the implications of in the surreal, romantic moment at the alter). I feel blessed just to have witnessed his loving devotion and unwavering attention to his true love at this wedding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment