Tuesday, March 20, 2012

moist.


A friend and I made the recipe below because my seester (Ben’s oldest sister, therefore mine!) came to visit on Sunday with her husband and three kids in tow. Anytime I am going to be around Naomi, I want to have something rich and chocolately on hand because I know it will put a smile on her face (or make her perpetually present smile just a little brighter for the moment anyway). You see, when I married into the Smith family, I knew I would be comfortable at their table because of the precedent of “sharing” Naomi had already set (I just love eating off other people’s plates…and I knew this would fly after Ben told me that Naomi had once received an extendable fork as a gift). I count myself one blessed gal to have married into relationship with such a taster!


can you see the gooey?
Molten Dark Chocolate Brownie Cake
Makes 6-8 servings

3 oz bittersweet chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa) [El Rey discos preferably :) ]
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
¼ cup butter, at room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
¾ tsp salt
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp full fat greek yogurt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of an 8-inch round springform pan with parchment paper and butter the sides.

Melt chocolate in your microwave—only about 20 seconds at a time, then stir, repeat—until smooth (or use a double broiler if you prefer grand efforts). Stir and set aside.

In a small bowl, add flour and cocoa powder and blend with a whisk (in place of sifting these two ingredients together).

In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy using an electric mixer on medium speed. Add sugars and salt and cream together with butter on medium-high speed until crumbly and fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating until just blended after each addition. Beat in vanilla and yogurt until smooth. Add slightly cooled melted chocolate and beat on medium-low speed until well combined, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Add dry ingredients to chocolate mixture and beat on low speed until just incorporated and smooth, no more than 30 seconds.

Pour batter into prepared springform and spread it out evenly with your spatula (which you can now lick). Bake 20 minutes. Transfer cake to wire rack and let cool in pan 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of cake and remove sides of pan. Let cool completely, about 30 hour, before slicing. Or you can just cut into it, but it may ooze a bit...which sounds like a good thing to me.
Adapted only slightly from Scientifically Sweet by Christina Marsigliese

yeah, try to eat just one slice

No comments:

Post a Comment