Sunday, March 4, 2012

weekend


This weekend has been so relaxing at the Smith resort (Ben’s parents house). I got at least 9 hours of sleep each night, intentionally soaked up a sunburn by Saturday afternoon, and spent some quality time with a few family members I have been missing. Ben and I trekked to Waco (our old Baylor stomping ground) for dinner at George’s with my little brother and his new little girlfriend Rachel on Saturday night. While sipping the big-O frozen blue margarita that has been dancing around in my memory since my last day of college, I asked Rachel the usual non-invasive questions, but really I just wanted to be instant friends with her from the moment I met her. To be quite frank, I was nervous about this dinner; I knew Spencer’s girlfriend would be cute (therefore possibly intimidating) and have good hair (because she is a Kappa) and I was tired, pale, and my brain was full of things that are probably of no interest to anyone except my Scantron. I could not help but like her right away however, as Spencer seems to adore her. A tender spot in my heart remembered how much Ben used to adore me when we first met at Baylor.  After dinner, Spencer wanted us to stick around for his frat party (SAE Jungle) but I think we were either too tired or too old (check, both) so we are probably better for having abstained. Sunday was spent bouncing on the trampoline with my second red-headed love (nephew Abram), watching Hugo, and finally making this recipe for pumpkin fritters I have been holding onto since the fall. Enjoy…because I am so enjoying life at this moment.


Pumpkin Fritters

1 cup pumpkin puree

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 ½ tsp vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour

¼ cup sugar

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp pumpkin spice

1 tsp salt

4 cups canola oil for frying

powdered sugar for topping
Combine the pumpkin, egg, vanilla, flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin spice and salt in a bowl. Mix until smooth.
Heat oil in a deep saucepan to 325 degrees. Drop batter by spoonfuls into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes.  Remove with a slotted spoon, and serve immediately (hot!) with powdered sugar sprinkled on top.

1 comment: