Wednesday, March 7, 2012

peace and quiet


Once I thought it very idyllic to spend time in solitude. I dreamt of going out to a monastery in the desert for a week or two. I valued silence, true peaceful noiselessness. But now I am out in Lamar (Rockport). The secluded monastery of the bay. And I miss noise. But only a little bit.

I knew this would happen. I knew I would arrive here with my guard dog and Yeti full of food in tow and immediately wonder what I was doing. Leaving husBen all the way back there in the big city?! I must be crazy.

I can admit that I already felt life getting a little simpler on the ride down here. I passed many a home with apocalyptic looking barricades out front (old cars, refrigerators, wood crates, tires, you name it) and I felt pretense melt away. The change of scenery relaxed me. Green fields and expansive gulf. Maybe even a rattlesnake or two and certainly about as many mosquitoes as there are people in Houston. 

It is sunny and breezy and I can already hear the whooping cranes whooping. Spring break 2k12, here we go!

fancy snacks


slice cucumber about 1 cm thick
spread with cream cheese
top with cured salmon (i brought mine from local foods houston, yum!)
garnish with capers and fresh dill 
enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment